Saturday, October 26, 2019

September Dividend Income: Eye Arrrr Eeeey

Much like the enemy's gate, September is down, in more ways than one.  After two months of fairly respectable dividend payouts that even had an upward trajectory, this month sees us plummet back down into the realm of pocket change.

Dividend income clocked in at only 84 cents this month.  As it did when this series first started, Flowers Foods brought in 36 cents of dividends.

Thank God I bought that Kroger stock.  For a while, I was legitimately worried that I would see no QoQ (quarter over quarter) growth (pretty sure that's going to happen with next month's report sadly but at least I got to delay it.)  Thankfully, with the grocery chain feeding me 42 cents and the 401K throwing in another 6, I can announce over 100% growth! Woo!!!

....

These numbers are so small that that figure means nothing, but woo!!!

On other fronts, this was a fairly eventful month.  Following on the heels of my 401K getting up and running, I opened a Roth IRA.  Well, a Roth IRA CD to be more specific.  Capital One has these retirement accounts that offer the tax benefits of IRA's, but rather than be tied to the market, they are FDIC insured and have the same interest rate as their normal accounts.  I went ahead and tucked some money aside in a 5 year account.  On the plus side, it'll help get me closer to my retirement savings goals, the downside is that I can't put any new money in.

Thankfully, to that end, Capital One automatically opened up a Roth IRA savings account to go with it.  Same deal here, tax benefits of a Roth and the same interest rate as a savings account.  I highly doubt I'll be able to "max out" my contributions at this point.  At the very least, it gives me some sense of proactive control and another nest egg to build. In any event, putting in the full $5,500 is a nice goal to shoot for in the years to come.

I also made two stock purchases this month.

The first (planned) one was Paychex (PAYX).  They do payroll and human resource type stuff for businesses.  My uncle name dropped this company at some point a while back, specifically mentioning the dividend.  It stuck in my head ever since and I figured I might as well add it to my portfolio.  Besides, that name bodes well, yes? I bought two shares, boosting my forward income by $2.24

The second purchase was a bit more impromptu.  There are times where I respond to a bothersome day at work by buying some stock.  It's not the best response, trade commission fees are a killer and I only have so much in the brokerage account.  Still, it's fun to occasionally scratch that itch and lay the groundwork for a brighter future.  With the IRA open, I now have another option, which should mitigate this problem to a certain extent.

I bought three shares of stock in Wendy's (WEN).  I picked this because I like the food, it was easy on the budget, and it was on my list of stocks to buy anyway.  It only added $1.04 to my forward income, but every little bit counts, right?  On the plus side, they pay on this quarter, so I've already got more QoQ growth locked in for this set.

As far as interest payments go, they came close to passing the dividend total, but fell just short at 73 cents.  With the CD open and me pumping more capital into the various accounts, we should be able to cross the dollar mark in fairly short order.  We'll see how things play out, though.






"stock dividend" by CreditDebitPro is licensed under CC BY 2.0 















Click here to become a Swagbucks member

No comments:

Post a Comment