Monday, November 18, 2019

March 2019 Dividend Income: It Was the Lease I Could Do

Another month is down, which means it's time to once again look at the dividends. As there isn't a moment to lose, I say we just get right to it.

Flowers Foods (FLO): $0.36 same as last quarter.  I'm thinking I might add a few shares to this position in the near future, the stagnation with that figure is starting to bug me.

Kroger (KR): $0.42.  This is another one that may be getting a boost depending on how things go.

Realty Income (O): $0.68, yay, up 2 cents.

Wendy's (WEN): $0.30, up 4 cents due to the dividend increase and a bit of DRIP.

CenturyLink (CTL): $0.25. Were it not for the dividend cut and share sales, this number would have been higher. Thankfully, I had just bought the shares in December, so that didn't really effect the quarterly numbers as much as I had feared that it would.

That brings the total up to $2.01, which is up $0.31 from last quarter.  Not mind blowing, but not bad either.

The real disappointment comes from the 401K.  After December's numbers, I was looking forward to seeing what another three months of contributions were going to do.  Sadly, it seems a couple of those funds are either bi-annual or annual payers, as the account only pulled in $0.37.

This brings the grand dividend total to $2.38.

Interest income clocked in at $2.25.  Once again, the 401K was able to eke out the win for the dividend camp, but the margin was much narrower.  If the portfolio doesn't straighten up and fly right, they could come out with a loss one of these months.

This month's stock purchase was a share of AGNC.  I would've liked to do more, but I had a car transaction to take care of.  I was actually a little wary of this one in all honesty.  The yield is a tad high, they had some cuts a couple of years back and a few articles warned against it.  Conversely, the dividend has held steady for over a year now and they are a monthly payer.  Ultimately, the allure of having another one was too good to pass up.  I doubt I'll build much on this one, but DRIP is set up, so it should add to the snowball, provided things don't tank.

I also kinda/sorta bought a share of Publix stock.  I say kinda/sorta because this isn't a publicly traded company.  As such, I couldn't just log on to a site, click some buttons and be done with it.  No, I had to print out a form, write a check, and mail it.  Even though I sent it out in the middle of March, the transaction still hasn't gone through.  I read it takes a while, but I'd like to see that get added in to the mix sooner rather than later.

On other fronts, I got a car.  My original plan was to buy used, preferably a Ford Fusion (you know, for the Dragon Ball references.)

Instead, I ended up leasing a Honda Civic.  Now, the financially savvy might be shaking your head at this.  I know Dave Ramsey doesn't like the lease.  Now that I think about it, I don't think Suze Orman does either.  I had that going through my head, no doubt; but ultimately, the down payment was a lot less than I expected to pay (helps that tax, tags, registration etc were included) and the monthly payment was about the same as I expected to pay.  On top of that, I got a better car than I would have been able to on my budget.  As such, I'm calling it a win.

Added bonus, I don't have to deal with that old "pay off the loan early or invest" debate.  I just pay the bill and that's that.  I'll likely buy later on down the line, but right now, this fits my needs very well.

2019 is just racing by.  There's still a lot that needs to be done and apparently not as much time as you'd think to do it.  It's going to be an interesting nine months to say the least.



                                           




"stock dividend" by CreditDebitPro is licensed under CC BY 2.0 














Click here to become a Swagbucks member

No comments:

Post a Comment