Saturday, November 9, 2019

December 2018 Dividend Income: "Stock"ing Stuffers

With December all wrapped up (ha, get it?) it's time to look at what dividends were pulled in for the final month of 2018.

Flowers foods (FLO) paid $0.36, same as last quarter. Kroger (KR) also delivered the same dividend as the prior quarter, with $0.42.

Thankfully QoQ growth came through other purchases.  Realty Income (O) paid $0.66. Wendy's also came through with $0.26.

All in all, my investments brought in $1.70 of dividends.  It's not a huge number, but there is still growth.  Over 100% growth no less.  Still an insignificant stat at this point, but I'll take it regardless.

Bank interest had a strong showing, bringing in $1.60. Not only is this more than double from last quarter, but it would appear to be right on the stock portfolio's heels.

I say appears to because the 401K came in with a sneak attack and dropped an additional $8.12 in dividends into my retirement account.  Now, this came from several funds, but I still did a double take when I saw the numbers.  With my contributions being broken up between several funds, it's going to take a while to build up any sort of position.  Up until now the dividends were a penny here, a penny there; if I was lucky I'd get a quarter.  I wasn't really expecting significant numbers for a good long while, yet here we are.  I see now why investors talk about the quarter-enders being the big dividend payers because, dang. 

All in all, the dividend total comes in at $9.82, just shy of double digit territory.

Once again, I made two stock purchases this month.

The first was 3 shares of CenturyLink (CTL).  This was my planned purchase of the month.

The second was 3 shares of Senior Housing (SNH).  Unlike other instances, this was not a retaliatory "work annoyed me" purchase.  This was a "the stock market went into perpetual pratfall mode over the week of Christmas and I decided to take advantage of the buying opportunity" purchase.  As I noted on Twitter, this wasn't a particularly large move.  Some of the other dividend investors out there really took advantage.  I didn't sit on the sidelines, though, so it's something at least.

Buying this stock was also beneficial as it pays in February, I noted that I would've broken the double digit threshold had it not been for HCLP's dividend cut.  This purchase pushes me back into that territory.  I have my fingers crossed that things will hold steady so that I don't fall back under.  I mean that figuratively, of course.  Typing with crossed fingers would be most difficult.

DRIP is, of course, enabled on both.  Speaking of, I withdrew HCLP from said system.  The stock was circling the drain, so I had it marked for dead.  I figured I was only getting one, maybe two more dividends before it died completely so there was no point in getting more shares.  It had a nice upswing today, so maybe smoother waters lie ahead.  If that turns out to be the case, I'll re-enable, but for now I'm still in "take the money and run" mode" as far as that company is concerned.

That about covers everything, I think.  All in all, it wasn't a bad way to close out the year. I've already made note of how optimistic I am for the year ahead, so I won't go on too long about that, but suffice it to say, it remains the case.




                                           
                                     

"stock dividend" by CreditDebitPro is licensed under CC BY 2.0 
















Click here to become a Swagbucks member

No comments:

Post a Comment