Monday, November 4, 2019

November 2018 Dividend Income: Bwaaa!!!

2018's penultimate month is coming to a close, and as such, it's time to, once again, look at the monthly numbers, like ya do.

Sprague Resources (SRLP) paid $3.34, same as last quarter.

Omega Healthcare (OHI) paid $1.98, same as last quarter.

Hi-Crush (HCLP) paid $1.58.  While this is 8 cents higher than last quarter, you'll recall that I bought more shares.  As such, this number doesn't make any sense at first glance.

Yeah, they cut their dividend rate.  They didn't just nick a little off the top either, they went all Jason Voorhies on it.  I vaguely alluded to this in my last dividend post as something of a sequel hook, but suffice it to say, it did a number on my forward income, eating up about a quarter of it.  Thankfully, I was able to negate the loss with a combination of other factors (DRIP, this month's purchase, and one of the other companies increasing their dividend,) but that still sucked.  As it stands, my forward income is still just below $60.

I was tempted to just sell, or at the very least turn off the DRIP and pull whatever money I could, but I resisted the urge.  I always hear about how rash decisions like that end up biting investors, so I'm hoping a cooler head will prevail here (no, not that one.)

In addition to this, Paychex (Payx) paid $1.12 and Hormel paid $0.38.  Hormel is the company that increased their dividend.  That didn't apply here, but it's still nice to see that factor come into play in this little venture.

With the 401K dividend throwing in an additional $0.12, the total came to $8.52, giving me a 25% growth rate for the quarter.  I would've broken the double digit barrier had it not been for that cut.  I had a completely different title planned for this post, but circumstances forced me to change it.  I'll cross that threshold eventually. Still, I can't say that I wasn't vexed by the development, in any case.

As far as interest goes, I raked in $1.37.  A moderately impressive jump from last month.  I also noticed that it's doubled from last quarter.  Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

This month's purchase: 3 shares of Realty Income.  Yeah, I was excited to add this one to my portfolio.  It's a popular one among dividend investors.  Where most companies pay you on a quarterly basis, this one dishes out a dividend every month.  They also have a solid track record of consistent dividend increases (the increases are small, but increases nonetheless,) making it all the more appealing to those who invest to build up passive income.  DRIP is, of course, set up; so it should be fun to watch that one grow.

I also made a second purchase, adding 5 more shares of Armanino (AMNF) to the portfolio.  This was one of those "work annoyed me so I'm going to retaliate with a stock purchase" moments that I said I'd try to avoid.  I know I said that's one of the reasons why I opened the IRA, but I ended up making a transfer into that account too, so yeah.  I picked this company because the stock is cheap and I know I've got next month's purchase to make.  This is also why I kept the purchase small, as opposed to binging on more shares.  On top of that, as this is a company that doesn't allow me to reinvest, it allows my brokerage account to see a little bit more cash coming in.

That about covers everything, I think.  Just one more month left to go in the year.  2019 is going to be awesome in any case, but getting some extra momentum in this final month would be nice.  We'll see how things play out. 







"stock dividend" by CreditDebitPro is licensed under CC BY 2.0 




















Click here to become a Swagbucks member

No comments:

Post a Comment